Monday, July 19, 2010

áit AIT - a love story


I go all smooshy swooshy, but not in a ROMCOM way, when i speak about áit AIT. The first time I met Mags and Ciarán they had come to my mid year MA show in Temple Bar Gallery & Studios. Quite the dapper pair they were. They remind me of the comforting scent of cinnamon and almonds. Each time I encounter them, I feel at ease, entertained with eloquent rants (-see Ciarán), and ready for a glass of red wine the size of my face. (Usually it's white, but this is the impact they have on me!! life changing as you can see.) Anyways, luckily they mistook my work for something remotely intelligent and kindly invited me to exhibit my work at their new club night. And such began my love affair with a night club.

There's a certain energy about áit AIT that I've always admired. They're creative and intelligent, they have ethics when it comes to only playing what they deem as good music (at times this can unfortunately involve part of The Little Mermaid soundtrack, but we forgive them as they're so ruddy ruvery) their tremendous bakery skills, but personally I believe it's the welcoming environment they create each month that involves them getting such a dedicated and wholehearted following. Always welcoming, Ciarán Rua ensures he is roaming with his wee smiley head, and has a mischievous glint in his eye in the knowledge that his plotted surprises of the evening are afoot. They theme each month, more of a source of entertainment and inspiration for themselves, as to what surprises to plot really, rather than a dress code like SUCH incrediballs nights as PARTIE MONSTER, which I'll speak about later, and at length, with equal amounts of gush... there is an element of 'cool' to the evening at áit AIT. by that i mean hip happening. and BY THAT by that i mean i sound like a spa. but how and ever. WHAT I'M REALLY trying to SAY, is that the gays that go dress well, have very specific music tastes and look really beautiful. Of course, once everyone gets a bit wibbly after a few shandies they look even better as they're now shiney from sweaty dancing and spilled pints, or in the case of Will St Legers birthday a bottle of prosecco showering the crowd...




In my personal experience of Gay Dublin (Gublin if you will), it was the first experience I had of feeling comfortable in a Gubbly environ (if i will, oh i will, gubbling all over, babes), I mean, the music was good, the people were sexy, the dancing was ridiculous, and I felt simultaneously at ease, overexcited, and RANDY, but sure, I'm always randy, so there's no change there really. It was my introduction to a world of alternative nights with merit to their musicality and creativity to their methods of orchestrating entertainment, all inevitably leading to the alco you see before you on this here bloglington.

Anywhoodle, the next one is fast approaching. (I'll be DJing, which is nice for me.) This Friday, which happens to be my birthday EVE. which means at midnight I expect champagne to be showered over me. Kaythanksbuy!

No comments:

Post a Comment